Unless you’re Lady Gaga, it’s pretty hard to pull off her look in real life.
Two years ago, I documented the trials + tribulations of creating my own Gaga look for Halloween (here and here). When I went to her Monster Ball concert this past spring, everyone was dressed in their Gaga finest, and in the context of the venue, it didn’t look weird. In the context of Halloween, it definitely didn’t look weird.
But it got me thinking: could you rock Gaga style in your everyday life? Now, I may be biased—anyone who knows me knows that I’m obsessed with the Lady—but I say that it’s possible.
If your workplace has a strict “no horns or leotard” policy, here are some tips on how to incorporate Gaga style into your everyday life:
1. Exaggerate your silhouette. Rock exaggerated shoulders and/or hips with confidence. This could be as simple as mixing in shoulder pads, a feminine corset, or a super structured skirt into your daily dress routine.
2. Think about the boots. Lady Gaga has a seriously fabulous shoe collection (thank you, Alexander McQueen). Channel her fancy footwork with ankle booties or over-the-knee boots. Either extreme will work. Just make sure that the heel is a towering 5 inches—at least.
3. Play with hair & makeup. Gaga is a different character every time she steps out. An easy way to achieve this is to play with your beauty routine. Try a bold red lip, or a dark, smoky cat eye. Or go the distance with a totally new hair look, by dying your hair a vibrant yellow or trying a blunt-banged bob.
4. Be bold in fishnets. While Gaga’s are often ripped and worn with a leotard, fishnets are still a sexy and edgy alternative to your typical sheer or opaque tights. Pair them with a pencil skirt during the day for an office-appropriate look, or with leather shorts for a night out on the town.
5. Go glam with gloves. Forget saving them for cold weather, gloves are your new favourite accessory. Funk up your grandmother’s Sunday gloves with rhinestones or studs, embellish them with a big bow, or find a pair of leather biker style ones to add Gaga edge to any outfit.